Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gombu

It's been a bit since we have blogged. Unfortunately not much has been going on. Last Sunday Dan and I gave talks in our ward AND got new callings...we are teachers in the Primary! We haven't done that calling in awhile and are very excited.

Last week Kara got really sick. She's finally over it (except for the cough and runny nose...does that ever go away) but now she is teething poor thing. Lily got sick with the gombu yesterday. Luckily she is not as sick as Kara was. Dan and I are faithfully taking Zicam so we don't get sick.

Other than that I can't think of anything new. Just plugging along. Hope all is well with everyone and that everyone is healthy!

________________________________________________________

I've been meaning to blog about this for awhile: Do you all remember when we were young and we could play in the front or back yard or at the neighbor's house? If we wanted to ride our bikes we would just ride around the block...without helmets and without parents following us?

Things have changed. I can't just send Lily out the front door to play with her friends. If they want to play then I have to be out there, too. Play groups have become more common but let's be honest how many play groups can I have and still get stuff done at the house?

Anyways, I was just remembering the good old days when life was simple. And I wanted to ask: what do you do with your kids when they want to go outside and you just can't? How do you entertain them?

6 comments:

Marci said...

What in the world is gombu?

Marie Mecham said...

My kids love sensory activities. Try putting a bag of dried beans or popcorn in a big pan and give Lily measuring spoons and cups, or toy cars. My kids love this and it keeps them occupied.(just be ready to sweep when she is done!) It can get a little messy, but is sure fun.(shaving cream is also messy, but fun) Otherwise maybe you can try taking things outside with you that you need to do...good luck!

Brooke Wentzel Stephens said...

What is gombu? also, I let Keontay run wild in the neighborhood, but he's seven. I let him bike to school alone (just around block) and am wondering how bad of a mother I am, but I think it's important to trust.

brittdave said...

Jan,
At Lilly's age I would take something outside with me or just try and go out for a little while, sometimes I would just put off what I had to do, wear her out outside and then come in and let her watch something and then run around like crazy getting stuff done.
I do playdates too, usually one set up on a regular basis, others are random.

According to Ana said...

Well it looks like you have gone the way of the play group!
we will be there tomorrow ( you have the right email)

I want my kids to have the sand lot childhood but I don't think it exists any more. I totally understand

Jamey said...

I'm not comfortable giving my kids the kind of freedom I enjoyed as a child. It's so sad! I'm hoping for a big backyard one of these days:-)